So getting more and more into the paleo lifestyle, it’s not surprising that I finally decided to make a nutrient rich bone broth. I decided on the slow cooker method, because it’s easy, and I can forget about it for a day (literally). I started off looking at the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo, and pretty much followed it, with a few adjustments due to taste, and what I had on hand.
- 2 lbs Grass-Fed Beef Bones (I used marrow bones, but look for stuff with cartilage)
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Large Shallot
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1 4″ long Fresh Ginger Root
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 2 Bay leaves
Chop up the onion, shallot, carrots, and celery and throw into the bottom of the crock pot. I cut them pretty large, because it didn’t matter, and I’m lazy when I can be. Peel and slice the ginger root, and throw that in too. Then put the bay leaves in and put the bones on top. sprinkle with salt and pepper, and pour the apple cider vinegar and coconut aminos over the bones. Add water until you pretty much cover the bones – but make sure you leave a little room (like 1-2″) at the top of the crock pot. I think I used 6-8 cups.
Then let it cook on low for 24 hours or more.
I left it going for 48 hours. It seriously made my kitchen smell of corned beef and cabbage….I don’t know why….but I’m down with that.
after it was done I took out all the solids (I saved them to eat, even though slow cooking pretty much sucks all their flavor out)
and ran it through a strainer.
There were still some floaty things, so i folded up a cheesecloth in the strainer, and ran it through again.
The fat gave it a pretty pattern on top.
I drank a cup while it was still hot, and put the rest in the refrigerator. It was thick, dark, rich, meaty, and earthy. After it cooled, I removed the solid fat from the top. Unfortunately, there must have not been enough gelatin in the bones, or cartilage, because it didn’t get “jelly” like, and stayed liquid. Next time maybe I’ll add chicken feet or look for knuckle bones. Overall, not a bad first attempt – but next time I hope to get it to its full gelatinous potential!