This is a super simple dish, easy to prepare, and packed with flavor. The earthy mushrooms are balanced quite well by the subtle acidity of the balsamic, and the sweetness from the coconut milk. I used a combination of mushrooms, but depending on budget and availability, you can simplify it.
- 1 Large Portobello cap, halved and sliced
- 3 Large Shiitake Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 Cup Oyster Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1/2 Vidalia/Sweet Onion, Sliced
- 2/3 Can Trader Joe’s Light Coconut Milk
- 1-1.5 lbs Chicken Thighs, Cut into Chunks
- 3 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cut into Chunks
- 3-4 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Heaping Spoonful of Coconut Oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons Goat Butter (Or Regular Butter) – Omit if you cannot handle dairy
- 2-3 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
- A Pinch of Allspice
- Thyme, Sage, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper to taste, i didn’t over spice it
Heat the coconut oil and butter over medium-medium high heat and add the onions. Let them cook just a little, and then add the mushrooms, balsamic, and coconut milk. Once the mushrooms simmer for a while and cook down, add the chicken and seasonings. Simmer until the chicken is mostly cooked through. Add the coconut flour, and continue simmering until the chicken is finished cooking.