So I forgot to take a picture of this one, but it was good, so I decided to post it anyway. It was a great weekend meal, without being tied down cooking all day.
•Eye of round roast
•1/2 a pumpkin cubed [i used a cheese pumkin, but kabocha would be amazing. Butternut squash would work too.
•1-1/2 cups strained tomato
•1 ladle chicken broth
•1 yellow onion
•1 pattypan squash
•3 cloves garlic
•Salt, pepper, cayenne, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, thyme, nutmeg, a small shake of cumin and coriander, 1 clove seed and 2-3 allspice berries whole, 2 bay leaves
1. Quarter the onion and chop the apple into large chunks.
2. Place the onion on the bottom of the crock pot along with some pumpkin.
3. Then add the roast on top, and throw the rest of the vegetables in.
4. Add the seasonings, then the tomato and broth.
5. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Remove the roast and cut into chunks and add pack to the pot.
Weekend crock pot meals are great. The weekend is usually when I’m running around doing errands, getting ready for something social, and sometimes it gets a bit daunting to figure out dinner. This weekend, I had a beautiful eye of round roast that I thawed out, so I decided to make it in the crock pot. It was so big, I actually had to cut it in half to fit. I think normally you cook roasts in the oven to rare or medium rare, but since this is a slow cooked method, even though it’s not pink in the middle, it’s fork tender, and delicious. If i was going to be home all day, I might have thought about using the oven, but I just didn’t have the stay home time for that. The red cabbage and vinegar, gave it a bit of a german inspired flair, while still giving it good ol’ comfort food potential. Actually, the worst thing about this dish, is that it was gone too fast! With 3 lbs of meat between two people, I thought I’d get a few meals out of it. It barely made it to lunch the next day! Oh well…..I’m going to need a bigger crock pot.
(The Spices are a rough estimate of amounts)
- Beef eye of round roast [3 lbs]
- 1 Red cabbage [small, cut into chunks]
- 1 Onion [quartered]
- 1 Apple [sliced]
- 1 Sweet potato [cubed]
- 1/8 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Coconut aminos
- 8-9 whole Allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Mustard
- 4 cloves Garlic [halved/roughly chopped]
- 1 medjool date [chopped]
Cook on Low for 8 hours