Yes, you read that right – pumpkin fish soup. It was kind of random, but I wanted to do something different with the fish I thawed, since I baked fish the night before. I was thinking of making a soup, and then somehow pumpkin got involved. It was actually a really nice pairing! Sometimes cooking after waking up from a two-hour nap is eventful I guess!
I used pollock for this, but you could probably use cod or a similar mild white fish.
- 4 shallots
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 can organic pumpkin (not spiced)
- 1/2 can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup broth (vegetable, chicken – your choice)
- 5 medium pollock filets
- 1 cupTrader Joes Fire Roasted Peppers and Onions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Basil, thyme, salt, cinnamon, and a little coriander and mustard seed
In a pan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, and saute to caramelize. Then add the broth, pumpkin, lemon/lime juice, coconut milk, and spices, let simmer for a few minutes. Finally add the pollock or other fish, and turn the heat to medium. Let simmer until the fish is cooked through and flakey.