I’ve been using a lot of bacon lately….I think I have a bacon problem. Not really, It’s just been in the house since I can get both Applegate Turkey Bacon and Applegate Sunday Bacon in three packs at BJ’s (They also have their hot dogs…. win!). Anyway, I’ve been experimenting with wrapping things in bacon, because I’m not used to having so much bacon in the house. Actually it’s calmed down a bit…but I was kind of getting crazy for a second. So, in that direction, I decided to wrap some chicken in bacon and make kabobs…because I like food on sticks. I think I was having flashbacks to my birthday at Luso’s and the rodizio, because there was definitely some bacon wrapped chicken, and it was amazing. Kabobs are some of the easiest, and most satisfying foods. I kept it simple and added earthy mushrooms, and the sweetness of apple. I also used chicken thighs instead of breasts, I like the richer buttery flavor they lend to the pairing.
- Chicken Thighs, Boneless/Skinless [Cut into chunks and marinated in coconut aminos, sage, cinnamon, allspice]
- Bacon (Turkey, Beef, or Pork…Pick your poison – US Wellness for WLC compliant bacon)
That’s it – Pretty easy as far as ingredients go. While you’re getting the mushrooms and apples ready, have your chicken cut up and marinating in a bowl. Then just halve or quarter your mushrooms, and cut your apples into fairly large chunks. Then, get ready to skewer things!!!
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Arrange kabobs in a glass pan. You can even probably arrange them horizontally, so that the skewers are resting on the sides. This will keep them up out of the drippings and help the bacon crisp more.
- Bake for 15 min then flip
- Bake for another 25 min, Then drop the temperature to 350 degrees and let cook another 10 min or so.